Each spring, CHFC holds their annual meeting / conference in a different Canadian city, bringing together housing co-op members, managers and supporters to learn, network, elect board members and socialize.
The mission of the Co-operative Housing Federation of Canada (CHF Canada) is to inspire, represent and serve the members in a united co-operative housing movement.
CHFC’s members are housing co-ops as well as the organizations and people who support them.
Woodsworth sends two members to the AGM / conference every year, a delegate and alternate, who represent Woodsworth Co-op at the CHFC meetings, attend workshops and bring back news about the co-op housing sector to the membership. The delegate votes on our behalf on sector issues and in CHFC elections.
Woodsworth members elect the two (2) members who will attend the conference as delegate and alternate. This normally happens at a Woodsworth general members’ meeting (the AGM in November or a GMM in January)
Travel arrangements are paid for by our Co-op, including the cost of travel, hotel accommodations for the 4-day conference and conference fee. Both the delegate and alternate attend the conference.
However, this is not a holiday; it is work with a very heavy schedule. In preparation for the conference, both the delegate and alternate are required to attend an information meeting held by CHF in Toronto to discuss the upcoming conference and the resolutions.
While at the conference, the delegates are required to attend all of the workshops and seminars they have selected and are expected to attend the Meet the Candidate debate sessions (mandatory if there is one), the Ontario Members’ Meeting and the National Business Meeting in order to vote for the candidates who govern CHFC. “You’ll have your say, debate policies, consider budgets, elect directors, vote on resolutions, and much more.” The delegate and alternate also select different workshops to benefit the Co-op.
Upon returning home, the delegate and alternate are required both to provide a written report of the information they acquired (or what they learned) to the membership through our weekly newsletter, with a copy of the report to the Board of Directors.
2019: The 2019 Annual CHFC Conference will be held in London, Ontario from Wednesday June 5 until Saturday June 8, 2019.
2020: Halifax, NS (June 10 – 13, 2020)
2021: Ottawa, ON (June 9 – 12, 2021)
Each AGM features:
- workshops and training and for co‑op members and managers
- a national business meeting with reports, resolutions, discussions and elections of the Board of Directors and Finance and Audit Committee.
- a meeting of CHF Canada’s Ontario Region, including reports, resolutions and election of the Ontario Council
- regional caucuses for members from BC, the Prairies, Quebec and the Atlantic provinces
- social events and networking opportunities
- a special networking session for emerging co‑op leaders (under 30), and
- simultaneous translation or a French-language alternative for all activities. To help with the cost, CHF Canada offers a discounted delegate registration fee, help with delegate airfare costs and a wide range of registration options for other participants. Participants under 30 receive a 50% discount on registration fees.
Updated: Oct 3, 2018