Having Trouble Paying Your Housing Charge?

Posted April 15, 2017

If you are having trouble paying your housing charge due to a short term crisis, you may be able to get help to pay the money you owe and keep your housing. 

The City of Toronto and community agencies across the city operate a number of programs designed to help tenants threatened with eviction.

Don’t delay. If you owe money for rent, get assistance as soon as possible – don’t wait until the rental arrears have grown too large. And see the co-op management, consider downsizing, as well as try these resources.

Toronto Rent Bank
For interest-free repayable loan and rental deposit loans. You may be eligible for assistance if 

  • you currently do not receive over 50% of household income through OW/ODSP (social assistance)
  • you meet the income requirements
  • you are paying market rent (not subsidized)
  • and some other rules. Ask!

There are also other funds available that you can find out about through Neighbourhood Information Post. Contact NIP (near Parliament Library), 269 Gerrard Street East 416-924-2543
Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. 
Wednesday: 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. 
Saturday & Sunday: Closed

For more information, see this flyer.

For more information on Share the Warmth or the Winter Warmth Fund, contact your nearest Rent Bank Access Centre, Neighbourhood Information Post, 416-924-2543.

To find out about the Emergency Energy Fund, call: (416) 338-3332.

Social Service Funds
There are a variety of funds available to help you meet needs, like winter clothing, children’s back-to-school needs, dental and vision care, special diets approved by a health profiessional, assistance with “up-front” child care costs, employment and training start-up costs, and some travel / transportation costs. 

You should ask your OW or ODSP case-worker about these benefits and funds. You can also contact your local community legal clinic for information. Legal clinics can be found in the telephone book or Yellow Pages under “Legal Aid”.

December 6 Fund
The YWCA December 6 Fund provides interest-free loans to women fleeing abuse. They help women establish themselves in safety. 

Contact Dela Aziavor, Support Worker
416.961.8101 x398 

Pay Direct
If you receive ODSB and find managing money a challenge, you can ask your worker about Pay Direct. This means that your housing charge would be paid to Woodsworth before you receive your payment. 

Direct payments may be made to:
• Public or private landlord;
• Utility company; and/or
• Trust account pending the resolution of a landlord and tenant dispute.

Thank you to the pamphlet from Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation (November 2010).

For more community resources, see our list of Neighbourhood Resources and the S4S Resources page.

Here is a printable copy of this page.

Revising the Occupancy By-Law

We need to change the Occupancy By-Law

To keep up with changes in the Co-operative Corporations Act and meet our legal obligations under Ontario’s Human Rights Code we’re revising our Occupancy By-Law. The by-law committee is working with the board and other committees to make recommendations to the membership for changes. We’ll keep you updated about proposals on the web site and in the Weekly.


The Occupancy By-Law is one of the core documents for our co-op and a key by-law. This by-law has priority over any other by-law of the Co-op. No one has any authority to commit the Co-op to any term of occupancy or agreement respecting occupancy, except in accordance with this by-law.

However, the provisions of Ontario’s Human Rights Code and the Co-operative Corporations Act, where applicable, shall have priority over by-laws, policies and rules of the Co-op.

A model occupancy by-law was developed by the Co-operative Housing Federation of Canada (CHFC) with the help of many experts, including CHFC staff and co-op lawyers. In addition to the model by-law, they also developed a Guide that gives the rationale for some clauses and offers alternatives to meet individual co-ops' needs.

Why? There have been changes in human rights legislation and practices, the Ontario Co-op Corporations Act and a significant change in the eviction process. We are now governed by the Residential Tenancies Act (Part V.1) and we would appear before the Landlord and Tenant Board. (We still follow our internal procedures first, but now any eviction decision of the Board is dealt with and enforced by the Landlord and Tenant Board.)

The Occupancy By-Law pulls together in one place some concepts we had spread over several By-Laws. For example, arrears procedures (Arrears By-Law) and minimum household size (Membership By-Law) would be part of our Occupancy By-Law.

You can read the CHFC model occupancy by-law on their site – as a Word or as a PDF document.  To see the model occupancy bylaw, please click to go to the https://chfcanada.coop/resources/model-by-laws-policies-rule/#Ontariomodel Please check out the Guide to the new Model Occupancy By-law for Co-ops. Website address: https://chfcanada.coop/resources/model-by-laws-policies-rule/#Ontariomodel

To read or download the model by-law, you will have to create a free account with CHFC and say that you do belong to a co-op. The Resource Centre houses a section "Forms, by-laws and more" where you will find the model CHF Canada by-laws, rules and policies.

It is important for you to know that until the membership approves the new Occupancy By-Law at a GMM, the current (old) by-laws are still in effect.

See also:  http://www.woodsworthcoop.ca/index.php/resources-approval-draft-occupancy-law/