WOODSWORTH HOUSING CO-OPERATIVE, INC.
Committee Vacancies and By-elections Policy
Approved by the GMM on September 28, 2011
Woodsworth Housing Co-op members elect directors, members of some key committees, committee chairs for some committees and delegates / representatives for co-op and community organizations. This policy mandates how Woodsworth proceeds when a vacancy occurs on a committee between the normal election time (AGM's).
Vacancies for directors will be filled following Bylaw 1 (Organizational Bylaw), ARTICLE IV – DIRECTORS, section 4.
2. Elected Committees – when the entire committee is elected by members (e.g. membership and arrears committees):
(a) If there is a quorum remaining on the committee, the committee can vote to carry the vacancy until the next annual co-op elections.
(b) If there is no quorum or if the committee wishes to fill the vacancy, the vacancy is filled by by-election or by committee vote, depending on the time left before the next AGM.
(i) To fill a vacancy in the first eight (8) months of an election year, a by-election will be held at the next regularly scheduled General Members’ Meeting for the membership to elect a replacement to complete the remainder of the full term.
(ii) To fill a vacancy in the last four (4) months of an election year, the committee can appoint a replacement to fill the position until the next annual co-op elections. The appointment takes effect immediately, but the election of the committee member must be put on the agenda for the next members' meeting. The appointment will be considered confirmed unless the members elect someone else.
3. Elected Committee Chairs – when the chair of the committee is the only elected member (e.g. Editorial Committee).
The committee must inform the Board of Directors committee liaison and the membership that a vacancy has occurred and that a vote on replacement will take place.
Any Woodsworth member who has attended any two of the last three meetings of the committee can vote at the meeting. However, any member is eligible to be appointed or elected.
(a) The committee can vote to fill the vacancy until the next AGM by appointment without a by-election. The replacement can come from the committee or be another volunteer member. The term for the replacement member will be until the next elections at the annual general meeting.
(b) If the committee votes to fill the vacancy through by-election, a by-election will take place at the next regularly scheduled General Members' Meeting for the membership to elect a replacement to complete the remainder of the full term.
4. Delegates (SLNA, CHFC, CHFT and alternates)
As the delegates are not part of a committee, the Board of Directors must advertise the vacancy to the membership. If there are more candidates than positions, a by-election will take place. If there is a match between the number of candidates and positions, the Board of Directors should appoint the candidate and report to the members.
5. Candidates and Appointments:
– Committees may solicit candidates from unsuccessful candidates at the last AGM, member surveys, from requests for volunteers in the Weekly, from members who have served on that committee in the past and members at large.
– The decision about who will fill the vacancy must be made at a committee meeting.
– The successful candidate’s name must be published as soon as possible.